Monday, March 21, 2011

Fraud

*Post updated, scroll down please*

I just have to blog about this when it’s still fresh in my head!

Okay… so, I was on my way back from BSB after dining out with the girls (and that’s a good story for another day!) and I received a call from this unknown number… as in, there’s no number at all.

Me: Hello?
Man: Is this King Siaw Chin?
Me: Yes…
Man: This is calling from HSBC, *something something* Fraud Department.
Me: Sorry? Where again?
Man: HSBC, *something something* Fraud Department.

(Sorry.. I really didn’t get what was he saying cos it was raining and I had to pay more attention on the road)

Me: Ya….
Man: Did you make any purchase from *something that sounds like hiking-ip.com*
Me: Err.. no. (My last “purchase” was donating to RedCross for Japan Tsunami and Earthquake, have you donate yet?)
Man: Oh, because we found something suspicious with the transaction and would like to confirm with you.
Me: *sense something fishy* Oh… is it?
Man: Yes, and we’re going to freeze your credit card.
Me: Oh… okay, I’ll check it with my internet banking later.
Man: Oh, sure. No problem. Can I confirm with you your birthday and *something something* number
Me: Nevermind, it’s okay, I’ll just go visit one of your branch tomorrow to get it all done.

*hangs up*

So there, I logged in to my internet banking and there’s no message or anything unordinary about my account.

Erm.. I’ve never heard of HSBC having a fraud department, maybe there is but… since I do have quite a number of friends working in the world’s local bank… I think I never come across that department lor. And, wah….. 10 something at night you still working ah, so rajin~ Not call-center and IT department only got people working 24/7 one meh? Lucky got rajin kepoh… I mean read news and see TV so a bit alert lah. Just that I never expect this kind of calls reach Brunei already… But kanasai lah, wasted my 20cents answering the phone.

He sounds really handsome though, case-assuming-from-his-voice.

p/s: The last time I received a fraud call was from a China-man (as in speaking in super China punya accent) and all I did was, answered the phone, and left it unattended, let the man kept talking until he “hello hello hello” and realized no one’s listening. Good also, wasting his credit.

 


I received another phone call this morning and this time, I could hear the guy much better. He told me his name and repeated the same thing as the guy last night. So I thought it might be true and called up Pingko. She suggested try to call the hotline and ask. And I called… but without phone banking, payah..

Hence I went to HSBC Seria, and told the personal finance officer (I think?) about it and she said she’s going to help me set up the phone banking so I can talk to the people there personally. And while I was put on hold by the hotline people, HSBC Brunei called me up and talked to me about it and asked if there’s such transaction. I said no, and I’m going to skip the rest of the details of what happened later. Conclusion, I was being skeptic and I’m waiting for my new credit card. The end.

Story of a keh-kiang person~

2 comments:

@lex said...

Yup .. got those call before ...
wonder if i should just switch cards???
twice already..!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dear, are you actually visiting this web site daily,
if so after that you will without doubt obtain nice experience.
Also visit my page :: GFI Norte