Friday, November 10, 2006

It is more blessed giving than to receive.

Foreword:
Boring post ahead. Read and feel bored & bad at your own risk.
___________________________________________


So... I think some of you know that I'm joining the
Brunei Marathon 2006.

(Click link for more information)


I know a lot of you had missed the registration date, and as for me, I was lucky. I handed the form in just a day before the closing date. Thanks to Mabel whom actually drove to my place, and helped me to print out my (stupid) passport photo.


Initially I had no idea what the whole thing was about. Didn't even really read thru the website's information. I just filled in the form, paid the registration form and handed in my (ugly) passport photos.


It was only until yesterday when Mabel passed the donation card to me, then I read the contents.


Honestly, I didn't know that I have to collect donations...


And I didn't know it's for charity as well..


I'm not complaining about all the extra work I have to do for the collections. Instead, I felt glad. <-Honest!

For the past decades, everytime when I was actually asked to do something like this, it is always for the school that I studied in, asking for contributions to renovate the building, to replaced the faulty parts in the science lab and so on..

Never for the people who REALLY need the money.

(I'm not saying that donating money to school is unneccessary ok. Please don't get me wrong)


Ever heard a saying?

施比受更有福。

(Translation: It is more blessed giving than to receive)


We're living in a world, with no war and no natural disaster. And living in Brunei, it doubles our luck. Our fuel is dirt cheap, education is free, medication is free, cars, houses are cheap and our government in generous.

(Let's not talk about the *citizenship issues* here)

My question is, why everytime when we're asked for donations, we only will forked out the small notes or the extra coins in our pockets?

I know it's not that we do not have the money to help, but what is the reason keeping us from giving more?

I was chatting with my Christian colleague the other day, pressing the buttons on the calculator and counting our monthly expenses. I was shocked that she actually gives 10% of what she earned for donations. She told me that Christians believed that what they have is all given by God, and the 10% is for repaying (or something like that. I wasn't sure)

Now tell me, how many of you..or us are willing to give 10% of our earnings for charity?

At least.. (to be honest) at this point I know I wouldn't.

(5% would be ok for me as I still have to take in a lot of considerations before I spend every single cent in my wallet.. Car loans, insurance, household expenses, mobile phone's bill, internet bill and so on..Or if you like, you can say that I'm frugal. I admit that.)

I remembered that in my last visit to a beauty saloon two months ago to "steam" my dry-like-hays-with-bloody-lots-of-split ends-hair and my quarter year manicure (Argh!!! I hate blood-sucking-saloons when putting moose on my permed-hair cost me extra $3.00! Well, I think they know I'm that karit because I don't go there often)

(I rather spend money on books than my hair which will gives me nothing in return)

I was thinking to myself..

"If only we spend less money on things that we actually don't need, then we can help a lot of them who needs help. "

Do we really need that latest 3G phone (when your old one is working completely fine)?

Do we really need the weekly manicure/pedicure/hair treatment/ armpit waxing (when we can do it ourselves at home)?

Do we really need the clothes/bags/shoes/earrings that we fall in love at that instant we saw it (when the clothes we already had are actually bursting out from our closet, the shoe rack does not have anymore empty space, and the bag we last bought had only been used once)?

Do we really need to eat an expensive meal at those poor lighted restaurant and ordering a glass of water would cost $2.00 (when we can just cook at home or eat the $1.00 Nasi Katok)?

Do we really need to drink the cup of coffee from the famous franchise cafe that cost $5.50 per cup (when the Kopi-O/C (kau) sold is kopitiam or hawker stalls are only $0.50)?

Ever calculated how much we spent on our "wants" and not "needs"?

I'm not a Saint. And this entry doesn't make me one as well. I'm just saying all this to remind you all (including myself) on how selfish we can be, thinking about ourselves only and ignoring the voices calling out for assistance.

There are people out there with no shelter and yet we complained the aircon in our room is not strong enough.

There are people out there with no (clean) food and water and yet we complained we're sicked of eating the same thing and just don't know which restaurant to go.

p/s: People, we eat to live.. Not live to eat.

There are people who has to walk for miles just to get a bucket of water and yet we complained that our cars are not posh enough.


(God.. I think I bored you people who's reading this now.. I'm whining like an old hag. At the same time, I noticed that I do have the "qualities" in being a teacher, talking to myself for an hour and nag nag nag. Hahahaa.)

I think, I'm almost done with it.

Here, some informations about the marathon.

The Route
(I know, can't see anything from the map also)


The Prize



The Reason


Again, your little money in your pocket can makes a lot of difference. Please donate (if possible, generously)

Help them when you still can.

14 comments:

Ummu Ummati said...

Home armpit waxing would be very challenging..and painful!! (>.<)

A very insightful post King Siaw-Jie.

I am guilty of spending $5.00 for a decent cup of coffee.

Guilty for spur of the moment shopping sprees. My bank account can verify that.

Guilty for eating in fancy restaurants.

I have much to improve on but I will get there ;)

The saying "It is better to give then to receive" is in the English saying.

In Islam it was mentioned that if you give charity, do it so that you give with your right hand, your left does not know about it.

Meaning, when giving charity, no one needs to know how much you give or where you give or to whom you gave it it.

Do the charity quietly just so that only you and Allah knows.

I like this post Miss King. =)

Horny Ang Moh said...

EVERY IS SO CHEAP IN BRU? EVERY MONTH I ALREADY HAVE SHORTAGE OF 5%-10% MONEY TO SPEND,SO HAVE TO DO A LOT OF DIY TO SAVE MONEY.U HAVE 2 BE KIND 2 OTHER BEFORE OTHER CAN BE KIND 2 U. GOOD POST.

Horny Ang Moh said...

FORGET 2 WISH ALL THE BEST IN UR RUNNING, PLEASE DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.IF BIG WATER CANISTER TOO HEAVY/BULKY TO CARRY THEN IT WILL BE A VERY GOOD IDEA 2 ASK BOBBY 2 CARRY IT 4 U ALL THE WAY IN THE MARATHON.

Anonymous said...

i dun need the 3g phone. its someone else who has plenty of phones, he bought it n then, throw it to me... not saying that i dun want it lah...

armpit waxing? ugh!! boys dun need that! another one bites the dust.

i'm actually complaining i dun have enuf shorts to wear outside. i practically just wear the only one each time i go out. at least for outdoor.

let's all eat mee goreng! mee goreng is yummy!!!!

plus i do 'bancuh' coffee for myself these days at home. or else i'm afraid i'll fall asleep in the exam. no time for outside, but save money also.

n one thing. u very far away in seria. how to donate. i dun think i noe anyone who is running.

BaBy JeE said...

Yey... my hobby,donating money~!! I wanted to join that marathon also, but too late, and I can't also, coz' I'm on visitor's pass...

btw, when is your due date? If its not anytime soon, I might pass the money to bobby to pass to you? but won't be much money due to my lack of BND. =>

Nonnie King said...

And I thought no one will actually comment on this post!


Nisah : Don't wax, pluck! Muahahaha.

Everytime I spent on something that I don't actually need, I'll feel the guilt too. Credit cards are evil!

Oh, so ngam.English and Chinese's saying almost meant the same.

And I totally agree on the right-left hand thing that you said. Doing charity and hoping to get something for return (the fame and appraisal) is just so wrong!

Thanks Nisah, actually.. I didn't know I can write like that too.

Nonnie King said...

HORNY ANGMOH : I DO AGREE ON WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT WE HAVE TO BE KIND TO OTHER BEFORE OTHER CAN BE KIND TO YOU.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THERE SHOULD BE A MOTIVE BEHIND EVERY KIND ACT. WE SHALL NOT EXPECT ANYTHING IN RETURN IF WE'RE REALLY DOING IN OUT FROM OUR HEART RIGHT?
^_^

HAHAHAAHAHA. ASK BOBBY TO CARRY, I THINK HE'LL BE STILL SLEEPING WHEN I'M SWEATING AND RUNNING BREATHLESSLY. AND YES, YOU REMIND ME THAT I NEED TO TRAIN MYSELF UP ALREADY, SCARE LATER HALF WAY PENGSAN VERY MALU

* * *

Jason : So you're saying that you're actually very nice and don't spend much money? Good for you lil boy. =)

As for the donation, I'm not sure whether you can donate straight to SCB or not. But it's the thought that counts. Thank you very much for thinking to donate.

* * *

Lu Jee : I need to return the donation card not later than 16 December. No need a lot lah, got heart can already.

Iwan said...

Hi Nonnie,
When i read this entry of yours, i try to reflect on myself..

Yeah, i tink i spend money too impulsively... Not to brag here lah, but money or financial was never an issue to me..

but but, don get me wrong lah, i tink its the tot that counts lei.. Though some ppl may donate a minimal amount, even a small amount can go a loong way...

but i am glad that my mum donate quite a substanial amount of money to one of the charities in Singapore...

In muslim, we must share our wealth to the least fortunate so that it is more berkat..

Hope i got it rite...

But i applaud for your kind gesture to do this...

Some ppl just "talk" but no action wor....

Anonymous said...

wahhh never imagine you be writing about this ;) kewl. gewd luck.. better start training soon for you event hahah :)

As long as the donations are ikhlas (sorry cant find the right word in english) may you be well and god bless you ;)

Nonnie King said...

Iwan : Yeap. Whether the amount contributed is more or less, it depends on the heart.

Maybe there's $2 in the pocket, and we choose to donate $1 out of it.. and, having $100 but also donating $1. There's a huge difference kan?

Hehe. I blogged about this to remind myself not to "talk only" too!


* * *

Rebbe : Wanna compete who gets more donation and who reach the finish line faster?

Nonnie King said...

Badd : Hah! I know someone will say this! Just because I'm loud, noisy and funny doesn't mean I got no heart mah.

Badd, donate some lah.. Or at least belanja me Martabak Indomee to support!

Anonymous said...

Nonie,

Yesh, your loud, noisy & etc tec if your not that then you are not nonie or your in those period thinggy mode where you become silent and grumpy... or you could be an alien pretending to be nonie or ya da ya da.............. .


ok2 just gimi calll or sms ya b4 u come to bandar!

sure u can finish the track ? i know i can't :) ahahahah :|

Anonymous said...

What u say does indeed split the different world between the 'have and have not' & the 'fortunate and unfortunate'. Just like a rich man would have other problem like to buy or invest in stocks while the simple man life is just the basic need of food, shelter and water. We sometimes do tend to get carried away in a world full of materials and consumer product which we fortunate people neglect the simple aspect of being truely know the true values and ethics in life.

Nonnie King said...

Bi :

We sometimes do tend to get carried away in a world full of materials and consumer product which we fortunate people neglect the simple aspect of being truely know the true values and ethics in life.

I like what you said!