Monday, July 16, 2007

Rehearsal of Sultan's 61st Birthday Celebration (Belait)


Happy 61st Birthday Our King!

Our dearest and most respected His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah, the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam.

* * *

This year I was given a task by my school to look after students who participated in the choir and dancing. Well... to be honest, I did whined a bit in my heart and in Mau's blog. Standing under the hot sun and keeping an eye on those little naughty and mischievous ones is not as relaxing as one may pictures. Who wouldn't prefer to stay inside the air-conditioned room and have a cup of teh-tarik?

And it was Mau's reply to my comment that had reminded me of how generous is our king to us. Compared to what our country had given us, what we'd done for him on his birthday is just peanuts.

* * *


My 6A girls and I, with the umbrella

Perfect Weather

Little Participants

Under Construction?

My hardworking colleagues


YES! They did brought the students' papers to the padang for marking, making full use of all the time available. And me, I was just sitting beside them and looking around pointlessly. Of course, keeping an eye on the kids as well.


* * *

While waiting for our turn to rehearse, the restless kids couldn't sit/ stand still for more than 5 seconds. They were playing with the sands for god's sake, while kids from other school sat obediently as per instructed by their teachers. Made us felt a bit malu lah.


The kids and their so-called VOLCANO
They just kept filling the 'crater' with water and of course, it disappeared as soon as it sunk down the soil. Well, it's fun watching them experimenting. They tried all sort of things, like placing one bottle on top, and the other at the side forming a connection to conserve the water.

They got all dirty and my colleagues stopped them from playing it anymore coming up with reasons like "The sand is dirty, who knows someone just spat there/ animals urinated/ worms and bla bla bla", you know.. the usual excuse/ reason/ lie a mother would tell their children in order to stop them from playing what they considered as dirty or dangerous.

And so I suggested them (my students) another game to play, HOPSCOTCH.


To my surprise, they had never played that in their whole life! SHOCKING!

I bet their toys are non others than computer games, TV games and portable game consoles... No wonder it's normal to see most kids wear thick thick spectacles.

Unlike us back in our time, just with simple things like pebbles and rubber bands, we made ourselves toys that can last us for the whole afternoon. They don't know what fun they're missing out.


* * *

Rehearsing

600 students!

My students will be working with students from 8 other schools, forming a group of 600 students performing one single dance. And my camera only captured 1/4 of the total I bet.


Hmm? Tissue box?

I wonder what this little girl is going to hold on the actual day? Maybe flowers I think.


View from the tent



* * *

I did took videos of several dance performance from different schools and levels, but I thought it's better for me to upload it after the actual day. Tell you, it was great and overwhelming. Hundreds of people focusing in one single matter trying their best in performing, if you think that is nothing... I.. I.... please go away and I don't want to talk to you liao.

=p

22 comments:

Iwan said...

1st..
comments later

Iwan said...

ok, coments now,
Actually, i saw the sultan birthday celebration announcement in the singapore papers..

so good hot there, here if ur ministers or president birthday, no one give a heck abt it..

hahahaha!

Choonie, the Guru said...

Saw the sultan birthday in our local newspaper too. I never realised that he is now 61 yrs old. He used to be very handsome.

Merv Kwok said...

eh, what's that kid doing with the tissue box? :P

Nonnie King said...

Iwan : Of course hot! Our big boss kali ah~ We all love him very much because he's very kind and generous to us.

Choonie : What do you mean by "used to"? Hehehehe.

With his age, he looks very charming to me and I bet it's hard to find another 61 years old who can look as good and fit as him.

Merv : Beats me. I'll find out if I happen to meet this little girl again. Or maybe just ask her teacher.

Anonymous said...

choonie, still handsome what! ;)

aiseh, my comment opened eyes. the things in belait looks fun! :D

Unknown said...

Hail the King! I mean Nonnie King la... hehehe

Anonymous said...

Yeah..

Brunei is actually a very rich country~~!!
N very very generous to Bruneians... =)
No taxes and cheap petrol!!

Aissshhh~~
I wanna go Brunei too~~!! :p

Hehehehe~~~

Nonnie King said...

Maurina : Yeah~ Fun..but very hot!

I had to wear a cap + umbrella + 1" of sun block on my face. Hhahahaaa

Kenny : Hail my big boss lah, not me.

Nonnie King said...

Jessie : Know what? I thought you're a Bruneian! But now then you say like that..obviously you're not liao. =p

Horny Ang Moh said...

Hallo! U r so lucky living in brunei! Try to live in bolehland then u know! BTW congratulation on winning so many simplur stuff! Untill now I am still empty handed apart from having a lot of new friend in blogsphere which I treasured that include u! Have a nice day OK.

War186 said...

We have a lovely Sultan, indeed. ;)

Choonie, the Guru said...

Ok ok ok..... he is still very handsome but he looks older liao... yeah I know I know.. what do you expect from a 61 years old man. hahahhahaha...

I agreed with you ... horny ang moh... try living in this Bolehland. I dun think being a teacher here is fun. I pity the kids sometimes... too many things to learn & do in such limited time.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday to your King :P

Didn't know it was such a huge event, lol

Effy said...

Yes our sultan still maintain! Good looking man indeed. My first love has always been Brunei and that love strengthen when i left the country to further my studies. I feel that everything has its pros and cons. I wish to say a lot of stuff here though but.. Haha.

Anonymous said...

Ooh~~!!

I'm actually from Malaysia..
Penang to be exact~~!! :p

Hehehe~~

Choonie, the Guru said...

Are you sure you ran over a monkey? A lot of monkeys in Belait? How's the monkey? Are you sure you murder it?

Nonnie King said...

H.A.M : I visit bolehland once a month at least wor.. to Miri lah. Hehehee.

Same same mah, the most valuable thing I earn from blogging is by having great friends like you all.

Wardah : We all love him!

Choonie : Why not fun? I thought having conversations with students are fun enough liao.. At least I thought so, they's so innocent and naive lah.

Nonnie King said...

Sha : Sultan's birthday is huge here in Brunei.

Effy : Yeap, pros and cons. Well.... we just have to live with it. Rich, but somehow poor in infrastructure...

Jessie : From Penang? Aww.. I never been there. Heard the kueh tiaw is good.

Choonie : I don't know, I hope not.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha~~

Penang, the food haven~~
N definitely a cheap food haven too~~!!

Come, and i'll take u around~~
For food and shopping~~~!!!!

* wink *

Nonnie King said...

You say one oh.
I mark you words. hahhaa

Anonymous said...

No problem~~!! =)