Thursday, April 19, 2007

Top 5 Foods I Love in Seria (or KB)

Admit it, everyone is neglecting their blogs recently. Procrastinators~

I had attended quite a number of workshops, meetings and inductions lately. And thus, there's really nothing interesting for me to blog about. (Unless you want to hear what boring things I'm forced to listen and pretend to pay attention to it)

And here, I'm supposed to blog about this weeks ago. I bet those who were tagged by Kenny had already done it.

The rules:

1. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.

2. Put down your link below together below the name/nick of the person who tag you and link directly to your post. Please include the state or country you're from.


1. Simple American (United State of America)
2. Iwan Sanchez (Singapore)
3. Nonnie King (Brunei)
4. Pinksterz (Egypt)
5. A^Ben (Sarawak, Malaysia)

3. Tag 5 other people (preferable from other countries/states)

(WHICH I'M NOT GOING TO DO =P)


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's my list.

Oh oh, before I start.. I'd to confess something. Erm.. How to say? I'm a Chinese, I eat po_k. And so to my Muslim readers, please bear with it..Or exit this window if it makes you uncomfortable yah.

Of course, I'm only listing the eating outlets I love in Seria/ KB..and not BSB. (Thank God, else it is going to take me longer). These are the places that I'd been eating there since I was 3. And I still love going there, despite of how people think of it.. (mostly unhygienic anyway)


#1 - Seria 麵檔 (Noodle Stalls)

Heh, I bet this is the other famous "product" Seria is famous for other than Oil & Gas. It's crazy how BSB-ians tapao them back and shouted how cheap and delicious it is.

Our Seria kolomee's popularity is almost equivalent to Sibu's kampua. Noodles with fish cake, cha-siew, minced meat sauce and the clear soup.

(A little side story. A friend complained to me that the soup is tasteless, and I explained to him that actually the soup is meant to pour into that bowl of noodles and not to be drink ala-carte. Well, different people has different ways of eating.)


Seria Kolomee (B$1.50)Photo stolen from YeeMan.


p/s: Dear BSB-ians, I don't mind if we share good foods together. But please please please do not shout "WAH SAI! SO CHEAP!" in front of those hawkers. Else you're not going to enjoy the so-called cheap food anymore. Well, usually it's very easy to differentiate locals and those who came from other place.


But ever since they moved the stalls to a new building...hilang the feel already.


The Old Mian-Tang

As you can see, long tables and benches. Lots of uncles, aunties and families go there every morning. Orders of drinks will be taken while walking along the corridor. Once you set your butt on the bench, you hot Teh-C will be served right after.


Now that's left...


Because of the reason that they combined both Chinese and Malay stalls together, hence the kolomee is made Halal. And maybe that's the other reason that I felt that it had lost it's original taste, apart from the new location that is.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#2 - Universal Cafe (環球)


Another old old kopitiam that we all love to hang out, from 5 years old to 80 years old. In the morning, this place is conquered by ah-pak who loves to order a cup of kopi, sit there and blow-cow (brag) for 2 hours (at least).

Saturday and Sunday afternoon, phew~ This place is full of youngster. Our favorite spot for Sunday afternoon low-tea.

(No money to enjoy high-tea, this version of low-tea also not bad)

This old kopitiam is run by Hainamese. They're closed on Monday, and they're very strict on their operating hours. Once the time nearly reach 4.45pm, you can see them pulling the iron gates already, hinting the customers that they should leave already. (吾好佐着個地球轉)



Told you it's old. The chairs, tables... even their fan, it's just classic. Sorry, no air con there. But you can see, still a lot of people goes there.


Here here, introducing you their specialty~


FRENCH TOAST!

This is no ordinary oily french toast. The fried egg wrapping the toast, and that yellowish thingie in between? It's CHEESE! Woohoo!!!

Dip it with tomato sauce and a pinch of sugar.... *HALLELUJAH*

Not oily somemore.

French toast (without cheese) - B$1.00
French toast (with cheese) - B$1.30

Universal cafe is cool. They do not served wok-stuff like fried or kolo noodles. They only served anything with bread. Roti kahwin, butter toast, egg sandwich (no ham). Basically a no meat kopitiam. The other specialty they have is they Jelly Ice cream.

Jelly in a glass with your choice of flavored ice cream. (We don't usually ordered that so I don't have that photo)


The usual stuffs I order

Serious, their Teh-C is good. They do not allow customers to tapao their teh-c, reason is it will change its taste. Got QC one leh. LOL.

I don't know, I just love that traditional feel of the place and the food. Something you can't find easily nowadays. Most shops are 'modernized' already.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#3 - Soi Heng (瑞興) & Jee Juan (藝園)


Paiseh ah, I don't have any photos for this kopitiam... (Yes, another kopitiam. I'm poor.. I can't afford high-tea wah. And who say cheap food doesn't taste good?)

I just show you their food.

Jee Juan's

Other than the usual kolomee, fried mee/ kueh tiao/ laoshu fen with ham and egg, they have FRIED INDOMEE with ham and egg too!

INDOMEE okay, the indomee that everyone loves.

They have their own baking oven at the back of their kitchen and so they sell freshly bake breads everyday. And also tarts and donuts. Once it come out, habis jual.

Edit

How could I missed out Soi Heng?!!! Outrageous!

Bobby read this post last night and said he personally think that Soi Heng deserved to be placed at #3 instead of Jee Juan, since Jee Juan's food is oily and salty to him.

*Smack head* Omigosh! Did I just left out Soi Heng? The roast chicken kolomee, laksa, Noh-Mai-Kai, Big Pau and Taufufah? How could I?!

I'll post pictures here whenever I get to take pictures of those. I promise.

/Edit



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#4 - Tudong Salji Food Court

(I still like it to call it 4-breast or 4-mushroom anyway. That's what we Chinese like to call it :p)



Photo stolen from Zeti

You know Lee Loi Fatt kan? Before it even set foot in BSB, this is the place where they started their business. Of course that's also after they demolished the old riverside stalls lah.

God, I still prefer those rojak stalls beside the river side lah! Who's idea is it to move them away anyway?

Blah. Back to the topic.

Lee Loi Fatt serves rojak (some say Asian salad), sotong with cucur udang, keladi, tofu, kangkungcrushed ice drinks like cendol, red bean, jagung those.


Photo stolen from YeeMan, again.

Other than Lee Loi Fatt, there's also some other stalls available. Read *here* for more.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lastly,

#5 - Excapade Sushi!


How can I miss this out leh?

I know there's a lot more other Japanese restaurant here, but without a doubt, when we start to discuss where to eat japanese food, the first to come into our mind is Excapade.

Great cheap food, nice environment, friendly staffs... What's more to ask?

Salmon is thick, ingredients are given fully. No 偷工減料 one. Where as in some Japanese restaurant in Malaysian, a plate of Shake cost RM9, somemore thin thin slices. Sibeh karit.



My must order food in Excapade:

Shake, Unagi sushi, spider roll, needle mushroom batayaki, the crab something something? Too many to list liao lah!

I bet you had came across it reading my blog because I went there quite often.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So that's it. My list.

If I were to list those in BSB... It can go forever I guess?

Oh, I missed out one important place in KB. The wet market. There's a food court on the first floor of the wet market that serves really good porridge!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LEE LOI FATT! i still prefer the one in kb.. oh lord, if i know my way to the stall in kb i would go there.. sigh..

sia sia pun

Unknown said...

I totally forgot about this tag, LOL... Good choices! I love the noodle, must try one day.

Anonymous said...

NONNIE..... take the kolomee picture down.. or else i start to lick my screen. I miss that food the most. Sigh.. Froze it send it over.. can???

uglyfatchick (Chicky) said...

I shall stop reading other people's blog when I'm hungry! :(

Anonymous said...

That rojak. OMG. Im hungry!

Nonnie King said...

Rebbe : Come to KB and I guide and belanja you lah.

Kenny : If you ever come to Brunei that is.

Tasha : LOL! Lick the monitor lagi. Custom wont check the package one ka if it's food inside?

Nonnie King said...

Christina : Quick go cook yourself a packet of Maggie now.

Sha : Come to Brunei lah. You got friends here anyway.

Horny Ang Moh said...

Aiyah Nonnie!!!I am so hungry after looking at ur food pic. What I like is the food ur post is yummy & most importantly cheap. Maybe I will migrate to brunie.

Anonymous said...

Yea ur right on the traditional part. I luv the old cafes in Seria..I can't believe sometimes that they have started many decades ago, that's history in ur face. I dunno any cafes in KB. Maybe u can do report on the places in KB district. Hahaha. I like the taufu fah at Soi Heng.

Nonnie King said...

hor ny ang moh : No need to migrate. Just come here for short holiday can liao =p

Sugarbabe : You know, after reading my post Bobby asked me how come Soi Heng is not on the list. The I realised I missed that out. How could I?
I love Soi Heng too!

Paupau said...

yee?your kolomee there geh noodles quite different with my place there eh..very thin ger the noodles in my place,sometimes is either with a lil of soup or it's with black sauce..but anyway,i can't taste them right now..=.=..mind using DHL express to send those food over here?=P!

Anonymous said...

I agree with most except Jee Juan (where is that?) and Universal Cafe (because I've never been there - the bunch of ah pek hogging the front table is intimidating, LOL)

But must get hubby to try it out :-)

Iwan said...

OMG!!!

i swear i love the kolo mee!! hahaha!!!

hmm... i never seet that kind of french toast ever in my life before...

so unique!!!

hmmm.. the rest of the food ok and I LOVE japanese food too!!!

hahaha!!

telepathy again?

hahaha!! nowadays ppl are not ignoring their blog but everywhere is exams time...

wakakakaka!!

War186 said...

I've never eaten in KB before except at Jolibee heh. I'm missing out, huh?

Nonnie King said...

Pauline : DHL and grow worms inside?

I don't know but I love the thickness of the mee here.


Jewelle : Jee Juan is in KB town, same row with Ta-Hua and Nanyang one.

Those ah peks are harmless dear, just don't sit near them in case they spit or kana choked by their cigarettes.
Hahhaa

Nonnie King said...

Iwan : Next time using RBA and get transit in Brunei. I bring you go Excapade makan!
I find it hard to get sick of Japanese food. And it feels healthy too, kan?

Exam times kah? Heh, I only know primary school's schedule now. The rest all tak tahu.

That french toast is really one of a kind. You can't find it in any other place.


Wardah : WHAT? JOLLIBEE? Oh come on, you can find it anywhere in BSB too. Must have try KB/Seria's specialty wah~

Anonymous said...

Woah Nonnie thanks for the recommendation! Well if I can go the your country next time I will definitely get you to introduce me with the local specialty over there! Haha! Well the japense food caught my eye because I'm a big fan of Japanese cuisine (espeically sushi!). Yummy!

Have a great weekend!

War186 said...

That's because no one's recommended anything to me from KB so on the safe side I eat something I'm familiar with lah hehe. For sure now when I go to KB next I'll try the kolomee you recommended. :D

Anonymous said...

Universal cafe! thats the name ah. I've only been there twice in my life because of the big green sign on the wall. but the place is gorgeous, can make filem there. My cousin took me before we went to anduki to fish.