Saturday, March 31, 2007

Bitex 2007 = eL cheapo Pasar

*points title* I wasn't the only one who's saying or feeling it. He said something about it, and also them.

But apparently, IngSiang seems to enjoy himself a lot there.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One day, mum came to me and said,

Mum: Nong ah, you know that little small thing that has earphones and can listen to music?
Me: Mm... Yeah.. It's call MP3 Player (slow response due to overshock by mum knowing such gadget)
Mum: Can you buy me one?
Me: I thought you have the discman already?
Mum: Yeah, but it's too big. I'm afraid that I'll spoil it one day.
Me: .... ?? Err..Okay. I'll get you one then.

Forgive me for having such replies. FYI, my mum is someone who don't even know how to operate a DVD player.

Mobile phone? She refuse to use it and says it's too troublesome to bring around. Claims that "Go toilet also have to bring. Sibeh boh eng". She prefers to play "payah to cari" thus no need to layan too much people.

(Example: One phone call asking "Where are you?", then expect you to give him/her a ride.)

Cool huh?

So.... there I was, driving 100km distance from Seria to BSB just to get her a nice MP3 player. (It's just too bloody expensive to get one in Belait). And also to find Hanisah and Joshua.

Weird combination - one 23 years old Chinese girl, one 23 years old (coming 24 next week) Malay girl and one 18 years old Chinese Boy.

But we do have something in common.. Observing people and give "comments".

=p

Aiks! Out of topic again!
* * *

After eating 5 scoops of ice creams in Swenson, (I know I know, so fattening can die. But who cares...), we walked down to the lobby area and started our MP3 player hunt.

Photo stolen from LSM

After walking around several booths, I came with a conclusion.

BITEX = el Cheapo Pasar

Actually BITEX stands for, Brunei Information Technology EXhibition.

"Technology exhibition" my foot!

I know what I said is offensive. But hey, this is BITEX, a computer fair. Not some Made in China pirated stuffs expo.

I don't see anything new and amazing pun. Other than some decent laptops, CPUs and others like HDD, ram and so on.. the rest are all pirated MP3, MP4 players and some other fancy useless USB stuffs.

No kidding.


And some people actually thought that they'd got themselves a good bargain buying an "iPod Nano" for B$30.00. I wonder what were they thinking...

Awkwardly, it was even in Brunei's news...

Disgruntled consumers have gone to AV Electronics Sdn Bhd (AVE), @ AppleCentre Brunei, with hopes of getting their iPods fixed, only to find out that they had bought a knock-off of the original iPod, which cannot be fixed by AVE or any authorised Apple Service Provider.

Read more here.

* * *

If those iPod(s) are not enough for you, here.. we have more.


A MP4 player in mobile phone disguise.


And this,

(All name created for fun by yours truly)

I have to admit that I was pretty impressed by it. It's a MP3/ MP4 player which also has the camera function and you can even play games with it.

(I swear, I saw the salesman playing Super Mario with this)

How much? B$178 for 1GB. Not bad huh?

Thanks but no thanks, I still support original stuffs, rather than this piece of made-in-China ugly plastic copying people's design.

* * *

And if you noticed in previous photos, they actually just hung those players as if those are bunches of bananas! See also no appetite liao lar.


I went up to the counter and said, "MP3 shuffle one.", as if I'm ordering "Milo Peng Satu". Without testing and any checking, I took money out from my wallet and paid the cashier.

In the end, this is what I got for mum. Brand-less Shuffle. 1GB - B$37.00


(Look like the real one kan?)


Yes yes, I'm clearly aware that it is a pirated one. And I will not bring it back to AV Electronics for warranty. =p


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The other reason why I felt like I MUST go to the BITEX is because.... I was there for all the past 6 years and this is my very first time not being there for the straight 5 days standing from 10am - 11pm!

I bet most of you knew it already, I worked in local computer shop before I became a teacher.

(Perhaps I'm now hearing a loud "OHHHH!!! No wonder this girl looks so familiar!". Or in Bahasa Brunei, it'll be "Macam panah liat".)


Yes, I was there for BITEX 2001 - 2006.

2001 - Setia Kenangan Hall, Kiulap
2002 - Indoor Stadium
2003 - The building at Bandar opposite the bus terminal
(I'd forgotten the name. Can someone help me here?)
2004 ~ 2006 - The Mall Gadong.


Apparently, CFKing didn't joined BITEX this year. Well, they have their own reasons I guess? Let me kaypo ask when I see my ex-boss/ cousin ya.


BITEX 2006
I think it's quite easy to spot me there (above pic). And yes, that is one hell of freaking ugly uniform we're wearing, as if we're working in the Shell Petrol Station!

Singaporean and Malaysians, you guys PC fairs are way interesting than ours. At least you people has hot sexy how girls and more advance technology on display.

And if I could, I'll definitely go for Taiwan's COMPUTEX . Just look at the stack of product brochures and name cards my ex-boss brought back from one single trip. Of course, he also took a lot of photos with those cute and sexy show girls. Oh well, man. (click here)


grabbed from Buyers Magazine

(I wonder if I was closing my eyes or my eyes are really that small!)

If you wonder how come I always have so many things to say, perhaps this entry answers your question, I was a salesperson! I talked a lot, to total strangers.

And now that I'm a teacher, I talk to myself for hours. Beat that!

But even though, I still hate those escalator + entrance stalkers. You know, those who just stood by there and giving every passerby brochures while talking to their friends or chewing gums.

(Sorry if some feel offended with the term "stalker", but.. don't you think they can be a little annoying at times?)

Not all people are interested in buying it right? Some just take it, and later throw them into the nearest bin. Come one people, have some heart...
Love our Earth!
Help the trees and forest!
Decrease deforestation!


* * *


So Bruneians, what do you feel about BITEX for this year?

And non-Bruneians, what do you tink?

21 comments:

Iwan said...

hello Nonnie,
errr... no offense lah but i tink it is not as intersting as in singapore..

jangam marah ok? Sorry...

hmmm. i wonder do the shops lowered their prices just to get more customers? in singapore ar, very jia lat one, cannot move here and there cos super packed and u turn here u smell people armpit, u smell right, u can smell people foul mouth!!

Hahahaha!!

Which is y i hate to go such places cos i tink the price offered in IT shows is abt the same in other retailers.. only a small margin difference..

eh, ur mum quite cool hor...
my mum don even know how to sms..

she is an IT idiot.. ok lah, i am mean.. let me rephrase, she is not an IT savvy person..

Kudos to u for having a super cool mum!!!

Anonymous said...

my friend got back from hongkong a couple of weeks ago, and he bought me a ciplak nano as a joke..

but im using it as a pendrive now..

Anonymous said...

Southern California,
Art and music are my hobbies. I would like to invite people of similar interest to see my Art work.
http://mungiako.com/my_work.htm
My email address is located at the bottom of each web page. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Hungryduo said...

that building is Bumiputera Complex? ^^

Paupau said...

that i don't know what to say..cuz i seldom go to this kind of stuffs,it's always crowded in my area whenever they have those events..but honestly lor,the bitex2007 is kinda lack quality leh..how can they simply sell those made-in-china things geh..=="!!

Nonnie King said...

Iwan : Friend, cannot compare at all okay! Sucks man this year BITEX. (Hopes the organizer is not reading this)

I hate to be in crowds too, it'll make me get so paranoid and start bugging to go back or somewhere else. I just hate rubbing shoulders with strangers and force to sniff their sweaty shirt.

It took me 30mins to teach my mum... only 5 buttons!

Same lah, my mum don't even know how to answer call from a mobile. Beat that!


* * *


Rebbe : Well, I'll use my mum's "Shuffle" as pen drive too if she found new interest.


* * *

David : Thanks for leaving comment.

Nonnie King said...

Bluequ3en : Yea yea yea! BUMIPUTRA! *bang forgetful head*

Thanks dear.

* * *

Pauline : Very lack can. I was expecting some new interesting high tech thingies mah, who knows.. like chi-chiong-kai (Petaling street) like that, all pirated stuffs.

Thanis Lim said...

Brunei Bitex really like u say IT pasar malam - but the knockoff phones look interesting!

Anonymous said...

i could have bumped into you there... darn!

Anonymous said...

I hate going to Singapore's IT fairs coz it gets damn crowded and I being so small get shoved around lirk nobody's business.

But then again, it must be a great prices of ORIGINAL goods that draw the crowd lol.

I'm surprised they sell pirated stuff with funny names (names of pirated stuff always makes me laugh lol) at your IT fair?

Police never come ah? :)

lunaticgal said...

nonnnie, i tot u said ur gonna buy original =.=
so how is the IPOD? works well?

War186 said...

Cool lah your mom even though she doesn't know how to use a DVD player she wants to use a small mp3 player.

I can't believe you finished 5 scoops of icecream. I'd die before I get to my 3rd scoop! Haha.

Boon got a bargain from Bitex. An HDD with 200 something GB for about $160 I think. Last time I bought my 80GB for $130. So expensive compared to his new one! Heh.

That's so funny about the iPod knock-offs' customers wanting to fix their "iPods" at the Apple Centre. I can't believe that anyone wouldn't know it's not genuine hehe.

Haha those are funny names you created for the phones. Maybe you're thinking of designing other knock-offs too eh Nonnie?

6 years working at CFKing? Wah that's such a long time.

Horny Ang Moh said...

PC FAIR SURE I WAN TO GO WAN. SO MANY THING TO SEE & TOUCH. BUT NO MONEY IN POCKET SO WAN TO BUY, ALSO CANNOT WAN.

LuUeE said...

hahahhaha.. I've nothing to say, but i wanna order one milo kosong now. But i think sometimes there are uses for cheap stuff too. mwhaa.. when you bring it to vacation, no need to really worry that it will be gone or drop in the water.. mwhaha..

Nonnie King said...

Thanis : That's the only interesting part of the whole thing. Laughing at those "creativity".

Lizzie : I was there in the afternoon, were you too?

Sha : But I'm pretty sure it's more interesting than Brunei one.

Actually that funny name is created by me for fun one. But I guess the "real" name behind wouldn't be far away.

Nonnie King said...

Lu Nee : I won't buy for myself mah. But that's for mum..I know she wouldn't mind :p

Erm.. It's okay, except the earphones already have some problem.

Really, cheap thing no good!


Wardah : I swear! I finished 5 scoops of ice cream. Can always ask Nisah.

Prices for computer parts always drop drastically.. Every one month prices have to be change to fight for market.

I know! How can people think that it's genuine when it's only $30. Tak kan 70% discount off like that kan?

Me? Helping in designing for pirated stuff? I don't wanna be a pirate eh. Muahahhahaa

6 years on and off actually.

Nonnie King said...

HORNY ANGMOH : YOU TOUCH WHAT? SHOW GIRLS AH?

Luuee : Milo kosong? I want teh-c-ping.

True, the only thing good about cheap things is that..you expect it to break down/ hilang anytime.

Merv Kwok said...

o.O

And I thought malaysia was bad :P

Imitation maximus man!

IngSiang said...

Haha, I enjoy it because I haven't work, no $$ for original stuffs yet. xD But I wouldn't buy the mp3, because erm, i only do 'nano' investment on imitated stuffs, lol, for bigger investment like PXP(lol), mp3 I'll get original one, xD.

Btw, if got hot girls on BITEX fair, I'll rush to there every afternoon, HAHA.

Nonnie King said...

Merv : If they don't control, we're going to be like Thailand!

IngSiang : A lor, I agree, cheap stuff can buy for fun and ching-chai use.

The expensive one, better don't risk it.

Anonymous said...

I consider, that you commit an error. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.