Sunday, September 17, 2006

Yes, I'm the only child. So?


Scenario 1
ABC: Hey, you have any siblings?
Me: Erm.. No. I'm the only child.
ABC: So lucky.

Scenario 2
ABC: Hey, you have any siblings?
Me: Erm.. No. I'm the only child.
ABC: So Kasian (pitiful).

Scenario 3
ABC: Hey, you have any siblings?
Me: Erm.. No. I'm the only child.
ABC: *Give me a weird look like I just migrated from outerspace* or *Roll eyes, thinking that I'm a useless brat who can't even cook Maggie Mee or do my own laundries*


No matter which senario is it, I'll often interrupt and add in,
"But I'm not spoilt"

But sadly, being the only child.. I'm often labelled as:
- Selfish
- Sophisticated
- Spoilt, and
- Precocious

Nothing good isn't it?

Since young, I often asked my mum why I don't have brothers and sisters like others. I couldn't understand my mum's answer and always ended up getting mad at her for not granting my wish. I had no one to talk to, no one to play with, not even someone to fight with. I'm lonely [Cue Music : Lonely - by Akon] and maybe.. a bit neurotic.


Remember once I showed Bobby my childhood photos.. He flipped thru the pages, laughed with me.. and in the end.. he told me this,
"Why you always looked so gloomy in your pictures?"

My Kindergarten Graduation Photo
Tell me I looked cute


Seriously, I never realised till he said it. I looked back the photos.. Really, I think I got that Mafia look on my face. I can't seems to squeeze out any smile and placed it nice on my face.

My mum often told me I was an introvert when I was a kid. I don't communicate with people, except my folks. I only had one, ONE friend when I was in my kindergarten. I don't share my toys with other people, nor snatched other kid's toys. I ignored people when they talked to me. My mum had troubled asking me to address "Auntie" and "Uncle" whenever I saw them.

Mum: Nong, call Auntie.
Me: *Mouth shut with angry face*
Mum: Nong, you hear me?
Me: *Still ignoring*
Mum: Sorry ah, my daugther ... like that one..

See. I'm so rude cool.

Lucky I was chubby back then... (Okay, I admit.. I'm still chubby NOW!), so those aunties and uncles still find me cute and nice to kacau. Mum says some idiotic auntie ever pinched my chubby cheeks till Oh-Che (blueblack).

My cousin teased me a lot, embarassed me by telling me how kanasaily-cute I was when I was only 3 yrs old.

Me: Eh cuz, how come I don't remember you one? You ever see me when I was little ka?
(Cuz age almost 13yrs older than me)
Cuz: Yeah. I remember you. You ah, always follow your mum up and down, left and right, even go toilet also follow. People talked to you, you never answered.
Me: Wah lao... Why you only remembered that one oh? You should tell me how cute I am mah.

Ask anyone who know me since I was a kid. Bet they'll all say that I'm a weird, quiet kid who follow mother everywhere she goes.

As years passed, I made more friends in school and started to get hang of communicating with people, and gradually I changed. I become more of a chatterbox, but still..only with people I know.

But still, till today itself, whenever I told people that I have no siblings, people looked at me differently thinking that I must be a spoilt-brat or princess at home.

I admit. Being the only child I get more attention and love. But that doesn't mean I don't grow up. I know if I want something, I know I'll have to earn it myself. I do house chores. I'm very good in ironing clothes, albeit I still can't cook like my mum. (But..I'm lazy)

Of course, I have nobody to fight for foods, drinks and toys. I keep everything all to myself. I treasure my toys because I know my mum worked hard to earn the cash. Mum would often tells me that it's lucky that she only has one child, if not, she wouldn't have any idea how to feed the other kid with my father's super low pay. Yeap, I totally agree with it.

I didn't come from a wealthy family. I had part time jobs to lighten my mum's burden in paying my school fees during my high schools. I worked for my "needs", and not "wants" like new clothes or shoes. In some people's eye, I seemed so pitiful but seriously, I think I'm lucky. I treasure what I have and what I'd gone thru had make me a stonger person. Comparing to my classmates who complained about their parents not buying them the latest notebook or mobile phone, I consider them as useless brats whose brain is made out of tau-fu-fah, and always imagine what will happen to them if one day their parents went bankrupt. It does make me feels better sometimes thinking how unfortunate of them to grow up in a greenhouse and don't even know how to take care of themselves. How pity.

After I finish my studies and worked, I worried about life after my folks retired. Like, where are we going to stay? How much I have to earn in order to cover all the hosuehold expenses and so on? I feel insecure without money. Maybe that's the reason why I'm so stingy thrifty. I felt that burden of taking care of my family on my shoulders already and I'm only turning 23. I have no one to share with, I'm alone. (Sometimes I wish I can just married a rich man)

Man, so much about myself.. I hope you're still reading tho.

But anyway, just wanna convey the message that...
Not all only child are spoilt and dependent living live like parasites.
There are some unique and different one.. like me.


Kasian my children who won't be having any aunty and uncle from their mother side, which means less angpaus. And also cousins to play and compete with.

I'm the only child in my family. How about you?
Anyone same as me?


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe...Nonnie, I am the only kid in the family also.
I dont like ppl asking me" how many siblings u have..:("
That will remind me something, anyway, i really wish i have siblings now.

Unknown said...

That's nothing wrong with only child in a family. After u gone through the process of life, there is nothing different with u r only child or with siblings. Anyway... my ex also only child, I dun see any different with others.

Iwan said...

Alah nonnie,
Do be so sad lah... I understand how u feel... I am not the only child but i am the youngest.. I only have my elder sis and me only.. And ppl always labeled me "SPOILT BRAT".. and i really hates it!!! whatever ppl say, just shrugged it off lah... Just make sure when u get married in the future, make sure ur kids have enuff siblings lah.. Muahahaha!! no pun intended!!!! Lolz!!!!

Iwan said...

what i meant is DON BE SAD.. typo error.. paisei!! Lolz!!

Paupau said...

i'm not the only child,but i'm the only daughter in this family.since there's no sis to talk to,i'll always keep things to myself.except financial issues,i always face and solve my own problems.but with the invention of blogs,i can now blurt a lot of my things in here..hiaks..=p!

Nonnie King said...

Bee : People with siblings would not know how it feels being the only child.

Kenny : Hehe. We’re all well-trained and independent because we know we have no one to turn to if anything happen. ^(oo)^

Nonnie King said...

Iwan : Seriously, I really think that I’ll have more than one kids for sure. At least two but not more than four. Because kids nowadays are expensive to take care of. So how many kids you wanna have?

De Pianist : *Hi five* But I feel lucky having good girl friends to turn to when I feel down. And by blogging, I do make some new friends who share common interests and thoughts which is good.

Anonymous said...

Oi Kingy, I won't say that I will understand how you feel because I will never ever do. The truth is, people who had siblings wished that they have none while people dont have sibling, prayed hard for one. Humans are not contented with what they are given. You can be the ultimate richest, the sexiest, the prettiest or the most successful person in the world and still be miserable. We can't change the fact because it had already be a fact. I believe God arranged all thingy for a reason. Nothing in the world is perfect. So live with it! Be happy or miserable, you choose it! Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. Nonnie, come to look at your photo, hmm you look like LuJee when she was young.. I think also look like me. I was very dark. Also like Mafia look.

And demanded lots of Mc donalds.

Did you know bobby has a soft spot for senior citizens? hahaha..

Nonnie King said...

Chau : When I see Fang & Yuen can share baju to wear, I wish I have a sister. But when I see Eng quarrel with Nana, I'm glad that I don't have a sassy sister.

When I see you and LeePing... no comments!

(Seriously, I don't know whether having a sister will be a good thing or not. But I rather have more friends like you all lah~)

Nonnie King said...

LuUee : Lujee is thin and fair. I'm fat and dark? Where got look alike?

You eat so much Mc DOnalds.. How come still thin?

Hehe. What did Bobby do when he saw the elders? Bobby can be sensitive at times~

BaBy JeE said...

Nonnie... your kid pic look like me when I was a kid leh... but me oni fat face but unchubby body.. very sad one... coz, ppl don like to hug me~! they always like to hug my sister who is cuter and fatter...!@~!~!

Nonnie, you know, after reading this post, I felt very touched... You're indeed a very strong person... and it's been great knowing you.

Anonymous said...

dun worry althought gloomy but still looks cute the picture :D
cheers... now u smile more d mah..
thx to the friend that lighten up your life :D

luna @ka lunatic

Nonnie King said...

Lu Jee : Really? We looked alike when we're kids? But sad tho, you evolved to a beautiful swan, and I'm still ugly ducklinG~

But I'm fine with it. Hehe

Lunatic : Yeap. I changed quite a lot by my friends. From an introvert to an extrovert. From shy to loud.

Ummu Ummati said...

Ms King, Im not the only child, but Im the only daughter. I get the same response as you do.

"Ahh..only girl..spoilt princess lah this.No wonder parents send overseas one."

Like you, I get aggravated when people say that to me. I did not ask to be sent, I got sent. In some ways I am a financial burden to my parents but people do not see the guilt I feel every single day because of that.

They don't know the number of times I plead with my parents to let me continue my studies home. People don't know. They like to assume it's easier that way.

You are very wise and mature for your age. I think your parents are very lucky to have you as a daughter.

To carry the responsibilities (not burden) of taking care of your parents when they retire is a noble act. Not many can do this.

I mean some families have up to 10 children, yet sometimes no one wants to take care of their parents when they are old. How sad is that?

God will be with you =) He put you in this position because he knows you will be able to succeed and make your parents proud. I have faith in that ;)

Anonymous said...

I face the same situation as you do, being an only child myself. But people more often ask me "One person at home not sien ah?"

There was a time when people thought i'm a spoiled brat too. Although i made sure they change their mind about that once they get to know me.

Anyway, i'm content with being an only child. There were times where i wish i have a sister to talk to, or a brother to play computer games with, but i'm kinda used to being alone at home. I don't recognise the word lonely. I can always see my friends the next day at school. Or if during the holidays, i keep myself busy at home.

:)

Nonnie King said...

Ness : *Hugs* Correction, taking care of my parents should be my responsibilities and not burden.

You're so inspiring.

You know, I find it so weird that we connect well. I've never see you, nor knowing you at all. But I think if I see you in person, I'll like you a lot.

Nonnie King said...

Vivian : I'm happy being the only child too. And friends are the best gift God had given me to subsitute siblings.

It's only after this entry, I realised a lot had felt the same as me.

Thanks for your comment :)

LuUeE said...

hahaha.. Nonnie, I am quite fat actually, at my friendster i specially use some magic trick to make myself look slim. Actually i am 500 kgs. hahaha..

Bobby become like a puppy when he saw elders. Usually he would go hitting on my butt with a broom.

Jk jk.. He was quite nice to the elders.. hahaha..

Nonnie King said...

Roy : I'm glad I have a super MOM who's like an angel to me.

Luuee : You 500kg? Haha. Bobby is jealous with your biceps you know. Motivate him to do some work out yah.

I know he's good. =^_^= Probably the best guy I have in my best.. *Let me here the Awwwwwwww"

Ummu Ummati said...

HUGS BACK!! Hehehe.paiseh leh...

You know why we click?

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!!

That's why...LOL!

Anonymous said...

Really cool bout the boobs comic pic during single, married & mother. Makes me wonder...but anyway, being the child got a lot of pressure. Parents can be very protective n also spoil the kid. But not to mentioned being the youngest in the family have many advantages too like bully ur elder bro or sis n get away wit it. King we already settle this issue right making sure we wont have this problem by giving me a child of football team or a basketball but minimum must be 3 child if possible. 4 children would b good as it solve our problem for our parent so each can hug 1 child hehe